Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The wanderer

I sleep away to life
My years back and forth
My youth rose too high
My days in comfort

The sorrows of the morrow
Bring me back, to and fro
To a sadness that is hollow
Tomorrow in the go

Before I were a song
I was a leaf in the hues
When sung in unison
I turned oak in the Blues

In my sleep you wander
Is the hunter haunted
Souls in slay and wander
A encore is wanted

That is me, I wander
'Ere thy heathen falter
That is me, I pander
I'm the wanderer


This little poem I wrote to myself in this lightweight morning right after I wrote a long phenomenological note. The idea is totally mine and I think it's some English verse, although I did base the rythm on some old Gaelic song, too the emotional milieu. It's a poem about myself, dedicated to no one but myself. With the last poems I've written this week I've started to understand how important the sequence of sounds is important in poetry although it distances me from the Greek convention, but I firmly believe that we modern men don't have enough knowledge to assert how the Greek metre was made, since it was again a matter of sound. English poetry with its adverse spelling shows very well the super-importance of sound in poetry. This is definitely against the conventions of what I'll call hyper-textualism in the future as a school of thought but I certainly enjoy the old-fashioned model, for it refers to my education in the Classics and the heavy mustiness I'm trying to avoid. If my early writings were totally unconventional and super-linguistic, I believe lately I'm returning closer to the convetions, probably after having read many of the Classics in English. I'm convinced that this treatment of conventional forms based on archaic verse will show me the way through this non-conventional almost semiotic poetry I'm intended to write. I've tried before with different sequences and although I haven't failed I think my writing wasn't mature enough at the time. Now I'm apparently starting to understand much better what I'm doing but the task is consuming and is stealing my life as whole. Hereinafter the wanderer shall be my name when writing poetry, for I bear this title even before writing. I believe archaic poetry is the only art that contains that "unified" social science Heidegger is talking about and I might curdle up into it forever, archaic poetry made to be read aloud, instead of "written dead matter". Simultaneously writings seems to be my very best mean of expression, but that extra-linguistic connotation is where my hyper-textualism should be heading to, as expressed in my earliest poetic experiments. I've also written lots of conventional poetry following an English metre that I fed with Greek metaphors, if I ever find the notebooks where those poems were written I shall publish them here too. For now I can only conclude I've undertaken the enterprise of pursuing my education from scratch, I might eventually prove the idea I'm unsuitable for poetry. My poetry in the future should be more of a semiotic understatement than mere English verses, but for now it's plain pretty.

Ari




No comments: